Friday, July 20, 2007

Smell

Some words, I believe, have a certain magic power. Even if you are not a mystical-type person, I think you might agree. Most religions, for example, will have at least one word with enough umpf to speak to the soul: Amen; Shalom; Tao. Even cultures have such words, even if in colloquialisms, like, say, Phat.

I think even for those who don't have the benefit of the culturally or religiously established magical words, there are words that can personally take on a similar special meaning. In thinking about it for a few minutes, I realized that I have one of these, unique, and magical words that, for me, has a special power.

smell

Now, you might ask "Smell?" And I would say yes, "smell." You see, what sense is more immediate than the olfactory? What other of the senses evokes memories and emotion like, well, smell? Maybe sight and sound, and even touch for the visually impaired... but I'm not talking about those senses. I'm talking about smell.

So next time you are in a situation where another of the magical, spiritual, or otherwise special words might be appropriate, I challenge you to replace that word with smell. Its worth a try.

May the smell be with you.

No comments: